Monday, May 02, 2016

Where Do Stories Come From - A Gift From The Universe



Many writers describe getting in the writing groove to such an extent that they feel that they are writing down a dictation. Similarly, some musicians also say that phrases appear to be fed to them by ‘mystic powers’ in the universe. 

After reading in a newspaper that the Australian home of Joe Bugner (the then national Heavyweight Boxing Champion) was burgled while he was away at a fight, I started writing a children’s story about a boy who found the stolen watch belonging to his racing driver hero, and tried to return it

At one stage, I wasn’t sure how to progress with it, and it was put on the back burner. 

Months later, I was homeward bound to Australia from the UK and checking-in at Heathrow airport. The clerk asked what I did for a living. I told him I was writing a children's story and how it originated. He smiled. I looked at his name badge. He was Joe Bugner’s son - and the plot suddenly became clearer. 

Co-incidence or ‘powers’ in the universe? 

Some places also seem to draw me to keep returning there as though I am owned by the earth – which is the belief of numerous cultures.


Have you ever been given a 'gift from the universe' when it was needed, but unexpected?

Peter Taylor
www.writing-for-children.com

No comments: